BASIC PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION:
Provides customers technical services in coordination with marketing activities; assists with advice to customers in the application of company products. Provide technical service support as required in the field. Primary function is to support sales team and customers in safe and proper application of our products in accordance with specifications and or application guidelines.
* Generate and maintain accurate records and reports of the applications of company products. This includes day to day environmental conditions as well as surface preparation and relevant coating application information. 30%
* Attend scheduled inspections; verify specification and standard adherence perform quality checks of surface preparation, and the application steps in the painting process. 25%
* Advise customers of products and schemes based on vessel service environments and performance expectations. Proper knowledge industry standards (i.e. SSPC, NACE ISO, Etc.) and use of inspection equipment for both surface preparation and coating application operations. Proper use of required PPE. May occasionally be required to demonstrate proper use of application equipment (i.e. Single feed airless, Conventional and plural component). 10%
* When conditions are identified not within company specifications or application guidelines advise the customer and or applicator and their immediate supervisor to acquire resolution. When conditions are not resolved to meet specification document accordingly with exception report.10%
* Lifts 100 pounds. 5%
* Monitor customers/applicators in the proper application of coatings and paint systems in accordance with company specifications. 20%
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Tasks that are secondary to the completion of the essential functions - those that could be performed by other workers. 5%
KNOWLEDGE OR KNOW-HOW REQUIRED:
* General requirements
oHigh school graduate
o3-5 years basic sales experience
oProficient with Microsoft Office software
oAbility to communicate effectively through verbal and or written skills
oAbility to travel
oUnderstands marine industry terminology and practices
oKnows coating application, techniques and parameters. Ability to apply principles of observation, logical, or scientific thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions based on the evidence; to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagrammatic form. Deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
oAfter completing an initial medical review and a drug and alcohol screen, employees performing TSR tasks are subject to periodic medical exams to determine their continued fitness to work as a TSR. Many customers also require TSRs to be tested for drugs on a random basis if TSRs visit or perform work on their sites.
* Additional requirements
oCollege degree preferred
oExperience in coatings
oExperience in marine vessel M&R and NB
NATURE OF POSITION AND BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT:
* Challenge and Creativity:
oOften in an awkward position caught between owner and applicator, the challenge is to get the job done in accordance with the agreed specification and standards despite varying views and pressures.
* Interactions Inside and Outside the Company:
oWorks with labor, supervisors, and owners. Works with sales manager, other sales persons, and IP technical staff and laboratory personnel.
* Business Environment:
oEconomic and environmental aspects of the position including the nature of the technology or competition dealt with on a normal basis.
oSignificant or unique factors related to the evolution of this position.
* Must know environmental, health, and safety regulations and how to spot issues
* Will be exposed and work around paint, noise, dust, odors and other shipyard elements
* The worker is subject to both outside & inside environmental conditions
oWet and/or Humid: Wet, contact with water or other liquids. Humid, atmospheric conditions with moisture content sufficiently high to cause marked bodily discomfort
oTemperatures range from: below freezing up to 140F
* Employees may work in areas with the following hazards:
oConditions or situations in which there is danger to life, health, or bodily injury. This category includes a variety of physical hazards, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical shock, working on scaffolding and high places, confined spaces, exposure to burns and radiant energy, and exposure to toxic chemical, radiological and biological agents
oConditions may necessitate wearing a respirator therefore must be able to pass (annually) the respirator fit test (RFT).
* Controls on position's freedom to fulfill responsibilities and solve problems related to them. (i.e., procedural, policy, supervisory, etc.).
* The authority the position has for personnel-related matters, capital expenditures, changing policy or work methods, etc. c. The types of problems that must be reported to higher level management.
oWorks independently frequently to manage time and projects. Must understand and follow company policy manual and review, complete and understands and follows technical manual -
oWorldwide Marine Technical Procedures Handbook, Section 4 - Product and System Integrity, Section 7 - Technical Service and Section 8 - Liability Control.
oGlobal Technical Service Training Program, review and complete in-house technical training program.
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS: Works directly for local sales team.